SubjectRe: Using sparse to catch invalid RCU dereferences?
On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:09:46PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:

> > It might be. There are a number of places where it is legal to access
> > RCU-protected pointers directly, and all of these would need to be
> > changed. For example, in the example above, one could do:
> >
> > foo = NULL;
>
> Ok, that I understand, but sparse always treats NULL specially anyway.

But "int foo = 0;" would need the memory barrier -- index 0 of some
RCU-protected array.

> > I recently tried to modify rcu_assign_pointer() to issue the memory
> > memory barrier only when the pointer was non-NULL, but this ended badly.
>
> Hm? I thought that's in the current tree.

It was for a bit. Build failures in odd (but very real) circumstances.

> > Probably because I am not the greatest gcc expert around... We ended
> > up having to define an rcu_assign_index() to handle the possibility of
> > assigning a zero-value array index, but my attempts to do type-checking
> > backfired, and I eventually gave it up. Again, someone a bit more clued
> > in to gcc than I am could probably pull it off.
>
> Ah, ok.
>
> > In addition, it is legal to omit rcu_dereference() and rcu_assign_pointer()
> > when holding the update-side lock.
>
> That I don't understand. Well, I do understand that omitting
> rcu_dereference() is ok, but it seems to me that the memory and compiler
> barrier in rcu_assign_pointer() is actually needed.

You are right -- I was confused. The case where you can omit the
rcu_assign_pointer() would be when building a multiple-element data
structure that is then published as a unit. For example:

p = kmalloc(sizeof(*p), GFP_KERNEL);
q = kmalloc(sizeof(*p), GFP_KERNEL);
p->next = q; /* don't need rcu_assign_pointer() here. */
q->next = NULL; /* or here. */
/* initialize other fields of p and q. */
rcu_assign_pointer(global_pointer, p);

The assignment to p->next doesn't have to be rcu_assign_pointer() because
other CPUs are unable to access the data structure -- only the final
assignment that publishes the whole group need be rcu_assign_pointer().
On the other hand, the cost of the extra memory barrier would be
insignificant in most cases.

> I've been playing a bit, see below for my play rcupdate.h and test.c
> test program.
>
> Unfortunately, sparse doesn't have the ability to declare
> "__attribute__((force_bitwise)) typeof(p)" or even
> "__attribute__((force)) typeof(p)" which makes this force more than
> necessary and causes it to not catch when incompatible pointers are
> used. gcc notices that because I only do a cast at all for sparse, but
> that doesn't help, since e.g. list_for_each_entry_rcu() requires that
> the correct type is returned. So without sparse supporting the latter
> notation, we don't stand a chance.

"<feff>"???

> Also, I wouldn't know how to declare that an array or so needs
> rcu-access to the members.

Hmmm... Can you apply the address-space attribute to the array itself?
I suppose one could convert the array to a pointer, but yecch!

Thanx, Paul