SubjectRe: Disk geometry from /sys
Francis Moreau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to know the geometry of my hard disk from a bash script
> and that's the reason I'm looking in /sys. The reason is that I'd like
> to figure out the size of a cylinder without doing a
> ioctl(bdev, HDIO_GETGEO, &geo)
>
> Unfortunately I can't find anything useful and this is certainly a sign
> that I'm doing something wrong.
>
> Or maybe can I simply assume from my script that the geometry
> is always heads=255 and the number of sectors per track is 63 for all
> disks.
>
> Looking at parted(8) source code, I can find this:
>
> /* The GETGEO ioctl is no longer useful (as of linux 2.6.x). We could
> * still use it in 2.4.x, but this is contentious. Perhaps we should
> * move to EDD. */
>
> Could anybody give me some advices ?

Given that the connection between any modern disk geometry and the
assumption of a fixed number of sectors per track is pretty tenuous, I'm
not sure any of the sizes, BIOS, boot program, or OS, are more than
convention anymore.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

  Last update: 2008-04-10 15:57    [W:0.464 / U:0.768 seconds]