SubjectRe: spinlocks -- why are releases inlined and acquires are not?

* Jiri Kosina <jkosina@suse.cz> wrote:

> In fact we have received report from one of our users that he is
> seeing approximately 15% performance degradation of mmap() when
> spinlocks are not inlined. I am going to do some performance
> measurements myself shortly, as it seems quite strange, but while at
> it, I have noticed the aforementioned asymetry in spinlock.h, so I
> just wanted to know if there is any particular reason behind that.

inlining decisions almost never have effects of that order of magnitude
- especially on new CPUs, so that 15% looks quite suspicious to me. If
it's real then an easy-to-run testcase would be nice.

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-04-01 10:45    [W:0.275 / U:0.272 seconds]