SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.25-rc8

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> And I think that's how we all work (and how we _should_ work), but
> sometimes people get so used to the fact that some people are fairly
> tightly associated with certain code that they think it's about the
> subsystem, not about the person.

Btw - don't get me wrong - we clearly do try to (and should) make merges
easy, and it's why the kernel source code is generally pretty modular and
we try to keep things as independent as possible. I'm not at all arguing
against that.

I'm just trying to explain that at least personally, I just don't see that
"modularity" and maintainership as a _primary_ issue. The primary issue is
just the interpersonal trust people build up over time. The modularity and
trying to keep borders is about practical concerns, and it's important
too. But it is still secondary, I think.

Linus

  Last update: 2008-04-02 05:13    [W:0.053 / U:0.076 seconds]