SubjectRe: 2.6.25-rc7: Ugh.
Mark Lord wrote:

>>> When I rebuilt with all debug stuff on, the kernel was worse than
>>> before, and just gave the "black screen of nothing" on resume,
>>> with a hung system.
>>>
>>> At least before the system didn't hang.
>>>
>>> Now I've just booted with a differently configured kernel,
>>> with only about half of the debug flags turned on.
>>> This one resumes from suspend, and *with* working USB too.
>>>
>>> Ugh. Gotta love it when the bug is so subtle that turning on
>>> the debug flags makes it (1) get worse, and/or (2) get cured.
>>>
>>> Here's the abbreviated diff between broken (no USB on resume, no hang),
>>> and working (good USB, no hang) .config files.
>> ..
>>> -CONFIG_RTC_CLASS=y
>>> +# CONFIG_RTC_CLASS is not set
>>
>> Mmm.. also had the RTC conflict resolved in that one.
>> Time to try another kernel with just the RTC change now.
> ..
>
> Okay, that might be it. I've booted and am running without debug flags again.
..

An update: still mostly stable now.
But I have seen one resume failure on this machine since then,
and that's not "normal" -- suspend/resume are normally rock solid.

My other pure Intel Dell X1 notebook has also hung a couple
of time during startup -- usually with "switched to high resolution"
messages near-last on the the screen. There's a long standing bug
to do with that stuff, which I first reported back in 2.6.20 (or .21).
Back then, it was kernel .config dependent, and has never been tracked down.

Maybe the same thing here, maybe not.

Cheers

  Last update: 2008-03-29 05:01    [W:0.352 / U:0.356 seconds]