SubjectRe: [patch 07/10] unprivileged mounts: add sysctl tunable for "safe" property
Quoting Miklos Szeredi (miklos@szeredi.hu):
> > > Maybe sysctls just need to check capabilities, instead of uids. I
> > > think that would make a lot of sense anyway.
> >
> > Would it be as simple as tagging the inodes with capability sets? One
> > set for writing, or one each for reading and writing?
>
> Yes, or something even simpler, like mapping the owner permission bits
> to CAP_SYS_ADMIN. There seem to be very few different permissions
> under /proc/sys:
>
> --w-------
> -r--r--r--
> -rw-------
> -rw-r--r--
>
> As long as the group and other bits are always the same, and we accept
> that the owner bits really mean CAP_SYS_ADMIN and not something else,

But I would assume some things under /proc/sys/net/ipv4 or
/proc/sys/net/ath0 require CAP_NET_ADMIN rather than CAP_SYS_ADMIN?

> then the permission check would not need to look at uids or gids at
> all.
>
> Miklos
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-fsdevel" in

  Last update: 2008-02-07 15:07    [W:2.078 / U:0.020 seconds]