SubjectRe: Kernel Event Notifications (was: [RFC] Parallelize IO for e2fsck)
Hi Jon

> I looked at this a year or two back, then ran out of time. But the thing
> I wanted to do was have libc's memory allocation routines extended to
> handle these through reservations - the kernel should send a userspace
> notification and then there should be some kind of concept of returning
> memory that's been used for "opportunistic" userspace caching, e.g. in
> firefox to cache the last 10 web pages. Let us know how you get on :)

sorry for late response.
(I didn't notice your mail ;-)

You are right...
stupid user space caching is very important problem.

but I think this is no libc problem.
glibc malloc hardly caches the memory.
(its default behavior only caching 128K.)

but some application use large memory for too opportunistic caching.
I understood we need propagandize that using mem_notify to application guys
after it merge mainline.

I have no idea of solve it easily.

  Last update: 2008-02-03 14:41    [W:0.049 / U:0.256 seconds]