SubjectRe: broken suspend in .2.6.25-rc3 on T61p (was Re: new regression in 2.6.25-rc3: no keyboard/lid acpi events on thinkpad T61p)
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 of February 2008, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:56:41PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
>>
>>> Seems like pm-utils is just a thin wrapper around s2ram, at least in
>>> version debian ships. It does not seem to have its own whitelist.
>> That's a Debian patch.

Yes, the current openSUSE basically uses the same setup, but this will change
in the future.

>>> ...so it is ready to use s2ram, but will fall back to
>>> echo. Unfortunately, that will mean no video resume on _many_
>>> machines.
>> See /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video .
>>
>>> Pretty please, can we get s2ram for Fedora, so that video is restored
>>> there?
>> Stefan told us at FOSDEM that s2ram was being deprecated in OpenSuse, so
>> I don't think this is the way to go.
>
> Well, is that really correct? Stefan??

Not quite :-)

> He probably meant that the s2ram _whitelist_ is going to be deprecated, which
> didn't mean s2ram altogether.

Exactly.

> s2ram is pretty useful anyway, as it combines many mechanisms that allow us to
> bring the video back to life from the user land, so you can use one binary
> instead of a bunch of different programs with different command lines etc.

That's what i like about it and the part i want to keep: do all the
workarounds in one place, ideally with locked VTs and maybe mlock()ed, but get
the workaround options from HAL.

I also had the impression that i had said this quite clearly, but the talk was
short, so the "data compression" of the information might not have been
lossless :-)

Hope this helps to clear up the confusion.
--
Stefan Seyfried
R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)