    SubjectRe: [ugly patch] Save .15W-.5W by AHCI powersaving
    Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    >>> This is a patch (very ugly, assumes you have just one disk) to bring
    >>> powersaving to AHCI. You need Alan's SCSI autosuspend (attached) patch
    >>> as a base.
    >>>
    >>> It saves .5W compared to config with disk spinning, and even .15W
    >>> compared to hdparm -y... on my thinkpad x60 anyway.
    >> ..
    >>
    >> There was a discussion of this here today.
    >
    > Real-life discussion, or something I could read? :-).
    >
    >> It makes good use of AHCI-specific features.
    >>
    >> Has it been tested with a Port-Multiplier yet?
    >
    > I do not know what port-multiplier is, sorry. But it was not really
    > tested. It is not expected to work on any other config than notebook
    > very similar to mine.
    >
    >> This is cool enough that we really ought to do a hardware-independent
    >> version, so that all SATA interfaces could benefit. Especially ata_piix,
    >> but others too.
    >
    > Well, it seems like it is 10 lines per driver once Alan's SCSI
    > autosuspend patches are in...
    ..

    Cool (literally)!

    I think I might have gotten your patch confused in my mind
    with another AHCI patch, which uses features of the chip itself
    to automatically negotiate/change link power status on the fly
    (no s/w needed, other than to turn it on).

    That one is very ACPI specific, though.

      Last update: 2008-02-26 16:53    [W:4.727 / U:0.436 seconds]