SubjectRe: Lump xxxinit together with init if possible (was Re: Solve section mismatch for free_area_init_core.)
Hi Alexander.
> I more than less expected people to scream "ugly, ugly!".

That was my first thought and the reason why it stayed in my inbox
for so long.
But I could not find a better way to do it. We could do it in
different ways but not better.

> Maybe you could consider the following patch, instead?
> In non-HOTPLUG configurations, devinit and init sections in vmlinux
> are lumped together during the final link. There is no good reason
> to warn about section mismatches between them in this case, because
> all code is discarded at the same time. This patch moves the lumping-
> together to the compile stage, which makes the unnecessary warnings
> go away. Same for MEMORY_HOTPLUG/meminit and HOTPLUG_CPU/cpuinit.

From the commit where the seperate section were introduced:

Introducing separate sections for __dev* (HOTPLUG),
__cpu* (HOTPLUG_CPU) and __mem* (MEMORY_HOTPLUG)
allows us to do a much more reliable Section mismatch
check in modpost. We are no longer dependent on the actual
configuration of for example HOTPLUG.

I think that explains it.

Sam

  Last update: 2008-02-23 18:55    [W:0.038 / U:0.124 seconds]