    SubjectRe: Plans for mISDN?
    Am 20.02.2008 17:54 schrieb Andi Kleen:
    >> mISDN has two problems, which are of course interrelated:
    >>
    >> a) complete lack of documentation for the in-kernel driver interface
    >> (equivalent of Documentation/isdn/INTERFACE)
    >
    > Most subsystems in the kernel would disqualify under that rule

    I beg to differ. Most subsystems do have at least rudimentary
    documentation. (I'm spoiled by the USB subsystem, of course. :-)

    > Did you ever look for full documentation on how to write Ethernet
    > drivers for example? Some bits are documented, but far from all

    I am not asking for "full documentation". "Some bits" would amply
    suffice. Documentation/isdn/INTERFACE, the interface description
    for the "old" isdn4linux subsystem, is far from complete, either.
    But it contains enough hints so that I knew where to start.

    >> (maintainer of an isdn4linux driver, waiting desperately for
    >> documentation on how to convert to the new CAPI/mISDN world
    >> but tired of asking for it in vain)
    >
    > My advice is that you just read the source of some existing drivers
    > for examples and copy them and of the subsystem itself if anything is
    > unclear. That is how Linux drivers are usually written.

    Usually, yes. But I find it unusually hard in this particular case.
    In fact I have been trying to do that for two years now, without
    getting anywhere. Reading code without a hint of what the authors
    are trying to do is terribly time-consuming, to put it mildly.

    Thanks,
    T.

    --
    Tilman Schmidt E-Mail: tilman@imap.cc
    Bonn, Germany

      Last update: 2008-02-20 19:27    [W:3.648 / U:0.036 seconds]