    SubjectRe: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))
    Greg KH wrote:
    > A lot of time that already happens today, between the different
    > subsystem maintainers. We routinely pass PCI and driver core changes
    > through the network and scsi and ata trees in order to handle merge
    > issues properly. This already happened in a few places in the
    > 2.6.25-rc1 merge cycle.

    Yep. I do that with the powerpc tree sometimes, too: I'll ACK a
    drivers/net change that is obviously PPC-specific, and that drivers/net
    change will go in via paulus.

    Like you said, it's done on a per-patch not git tree basis at the moment.

    That sort of cooperation has become common: in areas of shared
    responsibility, request an ack, and then the "most obvious" person
    (generally the one with most merge dependencies) merges that
    shared-responsibility change along with some other changes specific to
    their own tree.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2008-02-12 19:51    [W:4.541 / U:0.036 seconds]