SubjectRe: writing file to disk: not as easy as it looks
Theodore Tso wrote:

> Even for ext3/ext4 which is doing physical journalling, it's still the
> case that the journal commits first, and it's only later when the
> write happens that we write out the change. If the disk fails some of
> the writes, it's possible to lose data, especially if the two blocks
> involved in the node split are far apart, and the write to the
> existing old btree block fails.

Yikes. I was under the impression that once the journal hit the platter
then the data were safe (barring media corruption).

It seems like the more I learn about filesystems, the more failure modes
there are and the fewer guarantees can be made. It's amazing that
things work as well as they do...

Chris

  Last update: 2008-12-02 18:25    [W:0.083 / U:0.080 seconds]