SubjectRe: accessing file operations directly in the kernel
I agree with you! But there are cases where standards
are followed from certain developers. I have to deal with a
very "peculiar" arrangement of a set of requirements to access
a serial device driver. The type of code below gives me what I need, I think.

filp = filp_open("/dev/device1", O_WRONLY, 0);

if (filp->f_op->ioctl(filp->f_dentry->d_inode, filp,
CMD,
(unsigned long) &args) != 0) {
goto failed;
}

Regards
Andy

On 11/7/08, Robert Hancock <hancockr@shaw.ca> wrote:
> andy wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am dealing with an interesting situation, which I have to access a
> > serial device driver
> > from the kernel space. I tried to use sys_open, sys_ioctl ... but
> > there is a problem
> > with the file descriptors. Now, I started using direct calls to the
> > drivers functions
> > driver_open, driver_ioctl... passing the *inode from user_path_walk(),
> > but it doesn't
> > seem that works right. This serial device is going to be used only
> > from the other
> > module that runs in the kernel.
> >

> For some reason this kind of question (using file operations inside the
> kernel) gets asked a lot. The short answer is that if you're asking it, you
> likely have a wrong design. It's just not the right thing to do. For one
> thing, file descriptors belong to a process, so just stealing the FD space
> from some random process is unlikely to do the right thing.
>
> If you really need to do this, adding hooks to the serial device driver
> would seem a more logical thing to do.. but even that seems a suspicious
> design. It would be best if you explained what it is you're actually trying
> to accomplish.

  Last update: 2008-11-07 15:49    [W:0.041 / U:0.500 seconds]