SubjectRe: Ninth(?) Velociraptor replacement or md(RAID)/smartmontools(?) bug?
Justin Piszcz wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008, Alan Cox wrote:
>
>>> Oct 27 11:33:41 Arzamas kernel: ata6.00: error: { IDNF ABRT }
>>
>> Different error. IDNF -> ID not found
>>

> So the only thing in common is WD disks. I don't know at this point..
> NCQ with
> WD disks (at least raptor150s/300s) is completely broken and I have to
> disable
> it to use the disks without NCQ errors and dropping out of arrays (on
> 3 diff)
> systems with different chipsets, p35, 965.
>
> This guy has the same errors I do when I enable NCQ. It seems like WD
> raptors
> should be blacklisted from using NCQ in the kernel.
>
> NCQ: http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/17/380
>
> Concerning my error specifically:
>
> How much time have you spent replacing and RMA'ing disks? Personally
> for me
> I spent $3600 on new velociraptors but after having spend hours, days
> with
> doing testing, replacing, I have spent much more in time than the
> drives are
> worth. I am really getting sick and tired of it, every few days or
> every week
> its another drive failure (or more). What are you plans, just keep
> RMA'ing and hopefully they'll find the bug and fix it or just give up
> and build a new system for production and the RMA'ing can be a hobby
> in another system?
>
> What I meant when I asked did you buy them new, was, did you buy them
> recently,
> because with the raptor150s I have in another system, all 1+ year old,
> bought
> new but I wonder if they changed something in their firmware to cause
> this
> problem, when I opened a case with WD about the issue and spoke with
> someone
> in India they are only setup to answer basic questions and anything
> complicated
> you will get canned answer: "RMA."
>
> Time to dump WD raptor drives?
>
> I will note I am using several 750GiB drives without any issue whether
> NCQ is enabled or disabled in various raid and non-raid configurations.
>
> Comments--buggy raptors?

Well I guess I will have some data points after the weekend... I just
got a new WD 1TB on sale from Newegg, and I'm going to be using it
raid10 with a raid0 of a pair of Seagate 500GB, and expect to beat it
somewhat severely moving data from place to place.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
"Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still

  Last update: 2008-11-21 18:59    [W:0.032 / U:0.456 seconds]