SubjectRe: [rfc] x86: optimise page fault path a little
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 07:18:11PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Nick Piggin wrote:
> >
> > I don't exactly know what you mean by random micro-optimization. It is
> > what it is. I like counting cachelines and branches and I thought you
> > did as well.
>
> You're missing the point.
>
> If you spent a bit more time on it, it would be a cleanup too, and we
> wouldn't need this discussion.

> As it is, it's a wash. At which point I'd simply rather not touch the
> code.
>
> You can have your cake and eat it too, and I tried to explain how. And I
> don't understand why you argue against it.

Oh OK. I am going to add those changes that you suggested (in fact, I
already have). I just thought for some reason you wanted it to make
further cleanups or something.

I wasn't arguing against that. Or against refactoring the code in as
clean a way possible if there is any refactoring happening at all for
any reason (eg. performance or functionality as the primary reason).
I just wasn't going to repost the patch because as I said, my level of
testing and the relative urgency of it wouldn't justify it.

  Last update: 2008-11-14 04:33    [W:0.051 / U:1.396 seconds]