SubjectRe: Unix sockets via TCP on localhost: is TCP slower?
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:22 PM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
> From: "J.R. Mauro" <jrm8005@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:19:36 -0500
>
>> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Quite often in discussions, I see people claiming Unix sockets are
>> > faster then TCP sockets on a connection that stays inside localhost.
>>
>> Unix domain sockets should be faster because they're not subject to
>> windowing, ACKs, flow control, encapsulation, etc. etc.
>
> And the wakeup rate is higher for TCP, and our process scheduler has
> been getting gradually slower and slower over time since 2.6.22

I'm not sure about this, but I now also remember reading somewhere
that TCP has an extra context switch, but I don't know if what I read
was about Linux or a totally different OS.

  Last update: 2008-11-14 01:29    [W:0.078 / U:0.448 seconds]