SubjectRe: [Q] Why does dma_alloc_coherent() of ia64 GFP_DMA?
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Robin Holt wrote:

> I am not sure what is be referred to here, but all of an Altix's memory is
> DMA capable with the exception of the stuff covered by the MSPEC driver
> (that is uncached memory). There are certainly all sort of special
> requirements for doing transfers on Altix to eliminate memory ordering
> problems, but nothing specific that I recall related to address ranges
> and DMA.

But then ZONE_DMA has nothing to do with memory being dmaable or not.
ZONE_DMA is for legacy devices that cannot do DMA to all of memory.
I vaguely remember having stuffed all the memory into ZONE_NORMAL at some
point. ZONE_DMA vanishes for Altix configurations.

  Last update: 2008-11-10 23:01    [W:0.069 / U:0.460 seconds]