SubjectRe: Patch needed for ASUS EEEPC 701 2.6.27 (perhaps a regession)
Alan Jenkins wrote:
> It could be a coincidence. But it's suspicious enough to advise
> caution. We know what the bug is, and we have a very nice workaround
> queued up now. There's no reason to test any more of these specific
> systems to destruction :).
> I did try re-installing off the vendor DVD and it was still broken. I fear I bought it from the wrong place to get sympathetic _frontline_ support / warrantee. I'm not interested in RMA back to Asus - too much work and downtime for a cheap system, when I have an easy workaround. I haven't noticed any problems with "noapic".
>

> The symptoms strongly suggest overflow in an event buffer or counter maintained by the Embedded Controller. So the EC firmware may have a bug, of the sort that results in "unspecified behaviour". A bug in a special purpose (read: not subject to wide testing) subsystem which has direct connections to things like frequency and voltage control.
>
> Hopefully I'm wrong, and I don't really know what I'm talking about here.
>
> Regards
> Alan

Did you try to disconnect all power resources (e.g. AC adapter and all
batteries and wait for some time)?
May be there are some default settings in the BIOS?
This looks small enough to be a HW failure...

Regards,
Alex.

  Last update: 2008-10-14 11:05    [W:0.045 / U:0.388 seconds]