SubjectRe: Filesystem for block devices using flash storage?
On Sat, 11 October 2008 16:35:52 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:

> I don't think ext3 is safe w.r.t. whole eraseblocks disappearing. So
> if you write data 'nearby' root directory and power fails, bye bye
> filesystem, and journal will not help.

No device I've ever seen is that stupid.

Judging the reports I have of actual corruptions, the main problem
appears to be write disturb. Writes tend to inject charge into
neighboring blocks. If any part of the device gets hammered with
writes, there is a good chance of corruption nearby.

Write performance is another issue, of course.

Jörn

--
You ain't got no problem, Jules. I'm on the motherfucker. Go back in
there, chill them niggers out and wait for the Wolf, who should be