SubjectRe: Update cacheline size on X86_GENERIC
Date
On Friday 10 October 2008 21:22, Andi Kleen wrote:

> >> Exactly.
> >>
> >> That is it costs one percent or so on TPC, but I think the fix
> >> for that is just to analyze where the problem is and size those
> >> data structures based on the runtime cache size. Some subsystems
> >> like slab do this already.
> >
> > Costs 1% on TPC? Is that 128 byte aligning data structures on
> > Core2, or 64 byte aligning them on P4 that costs the performance?
>
> The first. BTW it was a rough number from memory, in that ballpark.
> Also the experiment was on older kernels, might be different now.
>
> The second would undoubtedly be much worse.

OK. Well I don't have a really strong opinion on what to do...

I guess there is a reasonable argument to not care about P4 so
much in today's GENERIC kernel. If it is worth around 1% on tpc
on a more modern architecture, that is a pretty big motivation
to change it too...

  Last update: 2008-10-11 06:03    [W:0.042 / U:0.980 seconds]