SubjectRe: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24
Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 28 January 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 28 January 2008, Robert Hancock wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> Check the /etc/modprobe.conf file, a lot of distributions use this to
>>> generate the initrd. If there's references to pata_amd it'll try and
>>> include it.
>> Bingo! Thanks Robert, I'll try it again with that line commented. I wasn't
>> aware of that connection at all. Yup, it worked, I feel a reboot coming
>> on. :)
>
> But it didn't work, apparently commenting that line out needs to be balanced
> by adding another line telling it amd74xx is the 'hostadapter', not
> necessarily scsi.
>
> Can this be made more universal so I don't have to edit /etc/modprobe.conf?
>..

You could really do it like Linus (and me), and not bother with modules
for critical services like hard disks.

Just build them *into* the core kernel (select "y" or "checkmark" rather
than "m" or "dot" for modules). This eliminates a ton of crap that can fail,
and may also make your kernel a micro-MIP faster (core memory is often mapped
without page table entries, whereas loaded modules use page tables.. slower, slightly).

Linus just edits the /boot/grub/menu.lst, and clones an existing boot entry
for the new kernel, editing the "kernel" line to match the name of the file
that got installed in /boot by "make install" (from the kernel directory).
He just leaves the ramdisk/initrd line as-was --> wrong version, but that's okay.

I totally get rid of them here, but that requires hardcoding the root=/dev/xxxx
part on the "kernel" line. No big deal, it works just fine that way.

Cheers

  Last update: 2008-01-29 04:25    [W:0.032 / U:0.284 seconds]