SubjectRe: questions on NAPI processing latency and dropped network packets
Jarek Poplawski wrote:

> IMHO, checking this with a current stable, which probably you are going
> to do some day, anyway, should be 100% acceptable: giving some input to
> netdev, while still working for yourself.

While I would love to do this, it's not that simple.

Some of our hardware is not supported on mainline, so we need per-kernel
version patches to even bring up the blade. The blades netboot via a
jumbo-frame network, so kernel extensions are needed to handle setting
the MTU before mounting the rootfs. The blade in question uses CKRM
which doesn't exist for newer kernels so the problem may simply be
hidden by scheduling differences. The userspace application uses other
kernel features that are not in mainline (and likely some of them won't
ever be in mainline--I know because I've tried).

Basically, the number of changes required for our environment makes it
difficult to just boot up the latest kernel.

Chris

  Last update: 2008-01-15 15:51    [W:1.026 / U:0.112 seconds]