SubjectRe: Fwd: Fwd: laptop / computer hardlocks during execution of 32bit applications(binaries) on 64bit system (Gentoo)

* Ed Tomlinson <edt@aei.ca> wrote:

> >> - if yes, does booting with "nmi_watchdog=2 idle=poll" give you a
> >> working NMI watchdog? (working NMI watchdog means the NMI counts
> >> increase for all cores in /proc/interrupts).
>
> > booting with the above gives me an incrementing NMI counter in
> > /proc/interrupts
>
> Ingo,
>
> Is there anything else that needs to be set in the kernel config for
> the nmi watchdog to trigger?
>
> I ask because I just had a hang but nothing showed on the _serial_
> console - I waited a couple of minutes before rebooting.... Is there
> any other way to verify the watchdog is working?

if you cause a hard lockup intentionally via an infinite irqs-off loop:

# cat > lockupcli.c
main ()
{
iopl(3);
for (;;) asm("cli");
}
Ctrl-D
make lockupcli
./lockupcli

does the NMI watchdog properly trigger? If not, does booting with
idle=poll change the situation?

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-01-14 17:19    [W:0.116 / U:0.092 seconds]