SubjectRe: questions on NAPI processing latency and dropped network packets
Ray Lee wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2008 9:24 AM, Chris Friesen <cfriesen@nortel.com> wrote:

>>After a recent userspace app change, we've started seeing packets being
>>dropped by the ethernet hardware (e1000, NAPI is enabled). The
>>error/dropped/fifo counts are going up in ethtool:

> Can you reproduce it with a simple userspace cpu hog? (Two, really,
> one per cpu.)
> Can you reproduce it with the newer e1000?

Hmm...good questions and I haven't checked either. The first one is
relatively straightforward. The second is a bit trickier...last time I
tried the latest e1000 driver the card wouldn't boot (we use netboot).

> Can you reproduce it with git head?

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to try this. We require
kernel mods for our userspace to run, and I doubt I'd be able to get the
time to port all the changes forward to git head.

> If the answer to the first one is yes, the last no, then bisect until
> you get a kernel that doesn't show the problem. Backport the fix,
> unless the fix happens to be CFS. However, I suspect that your
> userpace app is just starving the system from time to time.

It's conceivable that userspace is starving the kernel, but we have do
about 45% idle on one cpu, and 7-10% idle on the other.

We also have an odd situation where on an initial test run after bootup
we have 18-24% idle on cpu1, but resetting the test tool drops that to
the 7-10% I mentioned above.

Based on profiling and instrumentation it seems like the cost of
sctp_endpoint_lookup_assoc() more than triples, which means that the
amount of time that bottom halves are disabled in that function also
triples.

  Last update: 2008-01-14 16:53    [W:0.157 / U:0.576 seconds]