SubjectRe: PROBLEM: Network sky2 Module
ben soo wrote:
> i'm experiencing this problem myself. i have 2 servers, one using
> X86_64 kernel version 2.6.23-rc5 on a 100Mbit network and one with i386
> kernel version 2.6.23-rc6 on a 1Gbit network.
>
> They both have this issue with the sky2 network device driver whereby
> the device would stop working and need to be brought down and back up.
>
> On the X86_64 kernel on a 100Mbit network, this is a very occasional
> thing, while on the i386 kernel on a 1Gbit network the device only works
> for a few minutes at a time. If i set the MTU to 7200 then the device
> seems to stay functional, but then i see long delays when it's talking
> to 100Mbit devices with standard 1500 MTU that are outside of its LAN
> segment.
>
> This last might be an artifact caused by the firewall, i dunno.

Yes, I have found that I get far less problem in this area leaving the
MTU at 1500, then putting a larger MTU (usually 9000) into the routing
table for segments, or even just machines, where I know there is direct
connectivity. I use 9000 MTU with my directly connected file server,
1500 elsewhere. I can go to 9000 for nbd servers as well, assuming the
connection doesn't pass a firewall.

I have some hints that while the switches I use will speak 10/100/1000
between machines with different speeds, and will handle jumbo packets
between machines at the same speed, if I'm going Gbit/jumbo to
1500/slower performance seems to suffer more than talking smaller
packets. That may be because window size needs to be even larger or
something.

I have some legacy machines talking 10Mbit/half on 10base2 cable, I may
be seeing more of this than the average site. That's legacy as in
"attached to something expensive to replace."

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>