SubjectRe: Health monitor of a multi-threaded process
Yishai Hadas wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm looking for any mechanism in a multi-threaded process to monitor the
> health of its running threads - or by a specific monitor thread or by
> any other mechanism.
>
> It includes the following aspects:
>
> 1) Threads are running and not stuck on any lock.

If you're using posix locking, you'll never find yourself busy-waiting for very
long. Use ps or top.

> 2) Threads are running and have not died accidentally.

Use ps or top.

> 3) Threads are not consuming "too much" CPU/Memory.

Use ps or top. You'll have to decide how much is "too much".

> 4) Threads are not in any infinite loop.

This requires solving the Halting Problem. If your management is demanding this
feature, I suggest informing them that it is mathematically impossible.

Just use top or ps. Don't reinvent the wheel. We've got a really good wheel.
If you don't like top or ps as is, read the ps man page to see all the fancy
formatting it can do, and parse it with a simple script in your favorite
scripting language.

-- Chris

  Last update: 2007-09-10 17:37    [W:0.043 / U:0.360 seconds]