SubjectRe: sending raw packets via PPP
Date

On Aug 6, 2007, at 6:30 PM, James Carlson wrote:

> Kevin K writes:
>> Is it possible to send raw packets via ppp under Linux?
>>
>> More specifically, in 2.4 series kernels such as RH's 2.4.21-47
>> kernel?
>>
>> I've trying to modify the DHCP 3.0.1 code provided with RH 3 so I can
>> send requests via a PPP connection (standard RS-232), and it is just
>> being dropped by the stack according to ifconfig and debug statements
>> in ppp_generic.c.
>
> I'm not sure what sort of "raw" packets you're talking about (IP raw
> or something else), but you shouldn't need to send any raw packets to
> do this. DHCP runs over UDP, and, unlike Ethernet, there's no link
> layer addressing to worry about.
>
> --
> James Carlson 42.703N 71.076W
> <carlsonj@workingcode.com>

I would like to thank the people who responded to this posting for
their help. It helped keep me from wasting additional time trying to
use SOCK_PACKET over PPP just because the DHCP code in Red Hat used
it for ethernet. (The dhclient code did it to ensure that the
ethernet/IP/UDP headers were to their satisfaction, and to avoid some
bugs in older versions of the Linux kernel).

I've tested through a serial/PPP connection without issues.

This is obviously not a normal configuration, having to run a DHCP
client through PPP, but the IP addresses are assigned via a DHCP
server, but he router we connect to via PPP won't retrieve addresses
from the DHCP server for us.

Thanks,
Kevin

  Last update: 2007-08-20 01:49    [W:0.057 / U:1.552 seconds]