    SubjectRe: vm/fs meetup in september?
    > > Christoph> So what you mean is "swap on flash" ?  Defintively sounds
    > > Christoph> like an interesting topic, although I'm not too sure it's
    > > Christoph> all that filesystem-related.
    >
    > I wouldn't want to call it swap, as this carries with it block-io
    > connotations. It's really mmap on flash.

    Yes it is really mmap on flash. But you are "swapping" pages from RAM
    to be mmap'ed on flash. Also the flash-io complexities are similar to
    the block-io layer. I think "swap on flash" is fair. Though that
    might be confused with making swap work on a NAND flash, which is very
    much like the current block-io approach. "Mmappable swap on flash" is
    more exact, I suppose.

    > > You need either a block translation layer,
    >
    > Are you suggesting to go through the block layer to reach the flash?

    Well the obvious route would be to have this management layer use the
    MTD, I can't see anything wrong with that.

    > > or a (swap) filesystem that
    > > understands flash peculiarities in order to make such a thing work.
    > > The standard Linux swap format will not work.
    >
    > Correct.
    >
    > BTW, you may want to have a look at my "[RFC] VM: I have a dream..." thread.

    Interesting. This idea does allow for swap to be access directly.

      Last update: 2007-07-02 19:29    [W:8.476 / U:0.108 seconds]