    SubjectRe: JIT emulator needs
    On 6/8/07, Eric Dumazet <dada1@cosmosbay.com> wrote:
    > Albert Cahalan a écrit :

    > > Additions to better support JIT emulators:
    > >
    > > a. sysctl to set IPC_RMID by default
    >
    > Not very good, this will break some apps.

    As a sysctl, the admin gets to choose between
    compatibility and sanity.

    I can see such a sysctl also being really helpful for a
    shared computer used for an Operating Systems or
    System Programming course.

    > > b. shmget() flag to set IPC_RMID by default
    >
    > This is better :)

    Both are good. This one requires that all apps using
    SysV shared memory be modified to use the flag.
    The other requires that a very few apps be modified
    to tolerate a behavior change.

    > > c. open() flag to unlink a file before returning the fd
    >

    > Well, I assume you would like fd = open("/path/somefile", O_RDWR | O_CREAT |
    > O_UNLINK, 0644)
    >
    > (ie allocate a file handle but no name ?)

    Yes.

    > Quite difficult to implement this atomically with current vfs, maybe a new
    > syscall would be better. (Linus will kill me for that :) )
    >
    > (We dont need to insert "somefile" in one directory, then unlink it, we only
    > need to allocate an unnamed inode to get some backing store)

    I suspect that SMB/CIFS has a native call for this. There is
    some sort of tmpfile flag defined over in that world.

      Last update: 2007-06-09 06:15    [W:2.698 / U:0.016 seconds]