    SubjectRe: Please release a stable kernel Linux 3.0
    From
    On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 12:57:33AM +0200, Zolt?n HUBERT wrote:
    > Well, I'm using SuSE Pro 9.3 (excellent choice by the way),
    > coming with kernel 2.6.10-SuSE, on a ATI laptop, and the
    > drivers privided wouldn't compile (suspend & freinds). The
    > SATA disks were only supported from 2.6.15 (which just came
    > out), so I had to edit the "source code" of a closed source
    > driver to make it all work well. If that's "easy" for you I
    > doubt it is for 99.999% of earth's population. "World
    > domination" is far away.

    Have you ever tried installing windows xp from scratch on a new laptop?
    Same (if not worse) problem.

    > Also, the 7 National Instruments cards I'm using for a
    > deformable mirror in Adaptive Optics in an industrial PC
    > are "certified" for SuSE 9.3 only. Which, this week, got
    > discontinued. So what now ?

    If you buy hardware that only works with one particular release of one
    distribution, that is pretty much a way to ensure you will soon be
    unable to use that hardware anymore. Don't do that.

    > ???? should ???? who do you think "users" are ????

    People that install a distribution and use it. Sometimes they upgrade
    to the next release of the distribution.

    > Who said I was using vanilla kernels ?

    Well if you change the kernel on your distribution, then you aren't
    running that distribution anymore. You changed something.

    > no, it's MY problem.

    Well it is their problem to fix, and your problem that you bought their
    stuff in the first place.

    > and what about their users ?

    The kernel developers can't fix the problems of the closed source code
    anyhow, so it isn't the kernel developers problem. It is a problem of
    the closed source developer and their users (who chose that hardware
    themselves.) The kernel developers didn't recomend the hardware, and
    didn't make the users buy that stuff.

    --
    Len Sorensen