SubjectRe: GPLv3 dispute solution - new open source license?
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Joshua David Williams wrote:

> On 6/18/07, Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com> wrote:
>
>> Now, writing yet another license for the linux kernel is
>> therefore NOT the solution - if you get my drift.
>
> The new license could be written to be compatible with both versions of the
> GPL. IMO, a new license written from the OSS perspective would behoove us
> greatly in that we are no longer subject to this Higher Calling of the FSF
> and the Church of Emacs.

no it couldn't

the GPLv2 says that if you combine it with any other license the result
must be GPLv2

the GPLv3 says that if you combine it with any other license the result
must be GPLv3

so you have one requirement saying that the result must be GPLv2 and
another that says you must be GPLv3. there isn't any way to resolve this
conflict.

David Lang

  Last update: 2007-06-19 00:45    [W:0.019 / U:0.388 seconds]