    On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 13:34 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > I think that's a somewhat valid argument, although I'm not really sure
    > whether there is any difference between, say, a Fedora 7 "livecd", and a
    > router with a cramfs filesystem in rom.
    >
    > Both really work the same way, and both really are very much targeted
    > towards a specific hardware platform.

    I'm inclined to agree. And I'd probably suggest that the Fedora 7
    'livecd' would be in violation of the GPL if it were to include the
    binary-only modules, too. Enough people agree with me that we _don't_ in
    fact include those modules. And other people have been convinced to
    _stop_ shipping those modules, when once they did.

    > So I would at least *personally* suggest that people not look into the
    > license for these kinds of things, and also that you really need to have a
    > very specific case, and just basically put it in front of a judge.

    > At some point, *somebody* has to decide in a gray area, and I'm not saying
    > that a judge is really _technically_ any better really to decide the
    > issue, but at least he is hopefully _independent_ of both parties, so when
    > a judge makes an arbitrary decision, the "arbitrariness" is hopefully at
    > least somewhat "fair".

    Indeed.

    --
    dwmw2