    On 15/06/07, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
    > > Why can't you understand that the GPL v2 is a *software* license, it
    > > doesn't cover hardware at all.
    >
    > The GPLv2 is a copyright license not a software licence, indeed there is
    > no such thing as a 'software licence'. It deals with the circumstances
    > and manner in which you are permitted (by the author) to make copies of
    > their work, to modify their work and in some cases to perform their work
    > (plus other sundry rights). Copyright law doesn't care whether the object
    > in question is as abstract as computer source code (providing it has been
    > 'fixated' in some form) or a two hundred foot high art installation - or
    > a combination of the two.

    Right. My bad.

    > So irrespective of the whole pointless debate going on you are trying to
    > draw lines that don't exist in the first place.
    >
    > > I can't know for a fact what TiVO wants, but I can guess.
    >
    > You could also do your research.

    I have absolutely no idea where to go look something like that up :-(

    > > All quite valid reasons in my opinion.
    >
    > and all wrong.
    >
    > Look up the owning and controlling interests in Tivo and you'll find the
    > correct reason - stopping you doing evil things like keeping movies
    > you've recorded or uploading them to the internet [which ironically of
    > course is the entire effect of the whole 'convergence' thing]

    Hmm, wouldn't that be my guess nr. 2? A way to use the hardware to
    break the law...

    Anway, the whole point of my post was mainly to /try/ and say that the
    GPL gives you a right to obtain source code for modifications, but it
    doesn't say anything about being able to run a compiled version of
    that source on any specific hardware.

    --
    Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>