    Matt Keenan writes:

    > Alexandre Oliva wrote:
    >>
    >> Err, no. Software, per legal definitions in Brazil, US and elsewhere,
    >> require some physical support. That's the hard disk in the TiVO DVR,
    >> in this case. I don't see how this matters, though.
    >>

    > I'm now intrigued, where are these (Brazilian and US) definitions
    > stipulated, and under what authority?

    In the US, 17 USC 101 (the "Definitions" section of the title dealing
    with Copyright) makes this definition:

    A "computer program" is a set of statements or instructions to be
    used directly or indirectly in a computer in order to bring about
    a certain result.

    As its purpose is to outline the scope of copyright law, this
    definition is made under the authority granted to Congress by Article
    I, Section 8 of the United States Constitution.

    Michael Poole

      Last update: 2007-06-14 13:55    [W:2.197 / U:0.032 seconds]