    On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 02:52:48AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

    > As a PS to the GPL3 comment here is the basic difference
    >
    > ROM - I can't modify the code on the device
    > The creator can't modify the code further on the device
    >
    > Tivo - I can't modify the code on the device
    > The owner can modify the code
    >
    > One is an implicit limitation of the hardware (just like I can't run
    > openoffice on a 4MB PC even though the license gives me the right to
    > try), the other is an artificial restriction.
    >
    > One case is witholding freedom in the GPL sense by one party while
    > keeping it themselves, the other is a limitation of the system
    > inevitably imposed on everyone.

    I've been following this discussion and I find this interesting.
    Consider these two cases:

    1.) I ship the device back to the manufacturer, they replace the ROM,
    and ship it back to me.

    2.) I ship the device back to the manufacturer, they load new code
    into it, and ship it back to me.

    How do these two differ? Or is it now just a question of the ROM
    being in a socket? I can't see how the technicalities of how the
    hardware is constructed can change the legality of the software.

    --
    Dan