    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] [DOC] The documentation for HID Simple Driver Interface 0.5.0
    On 3/5/07, Jiri Kosina <jikos@jikos.cz> wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Li Yu wrote:
    >
    > > Under standard HID device driver development means, we need to write
    > > one interrupt handler for each new HID device to report event to input
    > > subsystem. However, although the most of they can not merge into
    > > mainstream kernel tree, they have only some extended keys, e.g. many
    > > remote controllers. I think it seem break a fly on the wheel, which
    > > write one new interrupt handler for this reason.
    >
    > This paragraph I don't seem to understand. Either the device is claimed by
    > hid-input (*), and then when the device is behaving more-or-less
    > correctly, hid-input handles the usages sent in reports and maps them
    > properly to input events. New mapping can be quite trivially added to
    > hid-input.

    We are running out if quirks and we can't continue in this fashion so
    Li tried to provide mechanism to augment default HID behaviour for
    sepcific devices. However I don't think we want this particular
    implementation - it firrces sub-drivers to be compiled into HID driver
    which may grow indefinitely.

    If we define HID "bus" allowing drivers to bind on VID:PID and provide
    default library module for parsing HID reports and providing access to
    HID transports (USB/BT) then writing tiny drivers adjusting just a
    part of hid_input_event and relying on default implemenattaion where
    it makes sense will become a breeze.

    --
    Dmitry