SubjectRe: regarding generic AIO, async syscalls precedent + some benchmarks by lighttpd
Davide Libenzi wrote:
> Yes, that is some very interesting data IMO. I did not bench the GUASI
> (userspace async thread library) against AIO, but those numbers show that a
> *userspace* async syscall wrapper interface performs in the ballpark of AIO.
> This leads to some hope about the ability to effectively deploy the kernel
> generic async AIO (being it fibril or kthreads based) as low-impact async
> provider for basically anything.

SGI's kaio patch to linux kind of went that route (using kthreads) for
non-SCSI async IO. It wasn't a bad way to go, but at least for
disk-based access they achieved much better results when they could go
right to the hardware.

--Chris

  Last update: 2007-02-05 08:15    [W:0.033 / U:0.432 seconds]