    SubjectRe: lanana: Add major/minor entries for PPC QE UART devices
    Date

    On Feb 28, 2007, at 2:43 PM, Timur Tabi wrote:

    > What about major number 205? It also has the screwed-up /dev/
    > ttyCPM entries, but it has more room, and the CPM driver doesn't
    > actually use it. At least, I can't see where it uses it.

    Please, let's just leave the four we have and let
    the driver just allocate increasing minor numbers.
    If anyone has a product with more than 4 UARTs,
    they will have to figure out what to do with the
    additional minors.

    We are making a very complicated problem
    out of nothing. This hasn't caused any problems
    in the past, and changing the existing names and
    minors will cause problems for everyone today.

    Just leave it alone, fix up the documentation,
    and have the driver print some warning if it
    allocates more than 4 UARTs.

    Thanks.

    -- Dan

      Last update: 2007-02-28 22:01    [W:3.278 / U:0.088 seconds]