    SubjectRe: [patch] x86: split FPU state from task state
    On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 10:49:44PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > this can very much be done, with a straightforward extension of how we
    > handle FPU state. That makes sense independently of syslets/async as
    > well, so find below the standalone patch from Arjan. It's in my current
    > syslet queue and works great.

    That patch adds a bunch of memory dereferences and another allocation
    to the thread creation code path -- a tax that all users must pay. Granted,
    it's small, but at the very least should be configurable out for the 99.9%
    of users that will never use this functionality.

    I'm willing to be convinced, it's just that I would like to see some
    numbers that scream out that this is a good thing.

    -ben

      Last update: 2007-02-14 23:07    [W:3.620 / U:0.040 seconds]