    SubjectRe: Free Linux Driver Development!
    From

    Le Jeu 1 février 2007 00:44, Greg KH a écrit :
    > On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 06:00:15PM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:

    >> More specifically, Dave said that it "seemed rude" to just take the
    >> driver and send updates, but maybe the best way of dealing with
    >> out-of-tree drivers like lirc is to treat the out-of-tree drivers as a
    >> kind of spec release, and just have someone in the community forcibly
    >> take the code, fix it up, and then get it merged. Maybe it's being
    >> "rude", but so is not responding to requests to get it merged.
    >
    > No, I'm going by Linus's rule here, if a person doesn't want their code
    > in the kernel tree, then I'm not going to forcefully put it there.
    > That's just being rude.

    Well, reengineering nvidia/ati DRM is rude to ati/nvidia, so was creating
    tigon3, so was rewriting from scratch the GPL drivers some ATA vendors
    published in the past, so was spurning the SATA/SAS stack adaptec
    offered...

    Does politeness extend to accepting some devices will never see in-tree
    drivers because someone wrote a GPL out-of-tree driver first (and refuses
    to push it)? People are more squeamish about using an out-of-tree driver
    as reference instead of leaked specs or rev-engeneered windows drivers
    (despite out-of-tree drivers being under the GPL ie with authorisation do
    do whatever people want with the code).

    If the answer is no, then there is a big pile of device documentation (in
    the form of source code) waiting to be used.

    --
    Nicolas Mailhot