SubjectRe: Top kernel oopses/warnings this week
Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 04:21:12PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> which also gets bonus points for being totally unreadable, and thus 100%
>> in the spirit of uuid's.
>
> Heh. UUID's don't have to be readable; just universally unique. Code
> on the other hand should be readable. :-)

Linus' suggested... improvement should either be done in all 3 places or none ;)
Since you're the maintainer... what's your suggestion?

> If you want something more readable, you could print the MAC address
> and boot time. Of course some crazy people seem to think leaking the
> MAC address will somehow be a privacy violation. And printing a
> random UUID is a lot simpler....

boot UUID is nice in that it's different each boot, so that an oops that happens twice will have a
different UUID even if it's the same machine, while repeat-reports of the same oops will have
the same UUID. So I very much like to use some form of UUID; since the boot UUID has the
same properties I was happy to share this; if it gets too ugly or evil code wise I can always
pick something else ;-)

  Last update: 2007-12-18 08:03    [W:0.061 / U:2.052 seconds]