SubjectRe: Possibility of adding -march=native to x86
Adrian Bunk wrote:

>> Yes for something like a distro kernel it is bad but as I said before
>> this isn't what this is for.
>>
>> Eventually it would be nice to to a make localkernel and for a
>> customised kernel to be build compiling in all pci / pci express
>> drivers into the kernel and all usb devices as modules.
>>
>> Auto magically detecting the cpu would be part of that
>>
>> I hate getting a new piece of kit and then have to figure out from
>> lspci which options need to be turned on and the the really iritation
>> part of finding the option in make menuconfig
>
> What exactly is irritating?
> Please name the problems so that they can be fixed.
>
>> Detecting the cpu and using march=native could be all part of that
>
> You don't need march=native for this.
>
> You have to set the right config option for your CPU and you
> automatically get the right compiler options.

There was a long discussion years ago -- the infamous "Aunt Tillie"
thread -- about automatically configuring customized kernels for
specific hardware.

It's somewhat of an unusual thing to bother with these days, except for
people who develop and maintain the kernel.

-hpa

  Last update: 2007-10-26 00:07    [W:0.048 / U:0.080 seconds]