SubjectRe: [RFC] pci_bus conversion to struct device
On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 01:00:44AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 09:14:06AM +0100, Martin Mares wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > > I recommend we just delete the pci_bus class. I don't think it serves
> > > any useful purpose. The bridge can be inferred frmo the sysfs hierarchy
> > > (not to mention lspci will tell you). The cpuaffinity file should be
> > > moved from the bus to the device -- it really doesn't make any sense to
> > > talk about which cpu a bus is affine to, only a device.
> >
> > It doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose other than the affinity now,
> > but I still think that it conceptually belongs there, because it makes
> > sense to have per-bus attributes. For example, in the future we could
> > show data width and signalling speed.

Data width is kind of hard to figure out since it's negotiated per
transaction. One could conceive of a device which only does 32-bit
transactions to some addresses, and 64-bit transactions to others.

What I've done in recent patches is make these kinds of attributes
available per slot.

> So, if it were to stay, where in the tree should it be? Hanging off of
> the pci device that is the bridge? Or just placing these files within
> the pci device directory itself, as it is the bridge.

/sys/bus/pci/busses ?

> There are also some "legacy io" binary sysfs files in these directories
> for those platforms that support it (#ifdef HAVE_PCI_LEGACY), and I'm
> guessing that there is some user for them out there, otherwise they
> would not have been added...
>
> Hm, only ia64 enables that option. Matthew, do you care about those
> files?

I think they were added for Altix ... not sure who uses them. Maybe X?

  Last update: 2007-01-27 17:23    [W:0.489 / U:0.040 seconds]