SubjectRe: 2.6.18-stable release plans?
On Jan 24, 2007, at 9:53 AM, Chris Rankin wrote:

>>> But MY kernel is clearly untainted.
>>> So what other explanation is there apart from a kernel bug?
>
>> If it's me you're asking: I don't know (overheating, cosmic
>> rays, ...)
>
> I suppose what I'm *really* asking is what the basis is for
> assuming that this *isn't* a kernel
> bug and can therefore be safely ignored, seeing as the oops is
> real, the hardware is fine and the
> kernel is untainted? That seems to cover the bases from where I'm
> sitting.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> P.S. No micro-heatwaves have occurred here, either. Do we all need
> to install muon detectors in
> our homes before reporting bugs now, so that we can exclude cosmic
> ray events too?

Well, do you have ECC memory? If not, it is at least possible that
that the solar flares that occurred last month may have affected your
system. There were three X-class solar flares in the month of
December. Even if you have ECC memory, it is still possible to suffer
data corruption because many BIOSes do not turn on bus parity error
detection. And are the memories in your disk drive controllers ECC or
parity protected? I wouldn't bet on it...

All too often, modern PCs are data corruption accidents waiting to
happen.

--
Mark Rustad, MRustad@mac.com