    SubjectRe: query related to serial console
    On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 04:10:17 +0000 (GMT) Seetharam Dharmosoth wrote:

    (please don't top-post)

    > Generally sysrq will work with serial console right?
    >
    > suppose system is connected through serial port to the
    > other system, (ie serial console), at this time we can
    > fire some set of commands through the serial console.
    >
    > the sequesnce is as follows
    > do ctrl+]
    > send brk
    > then some commands
    >
    > What is my question is con't we pass commands directly
    >
    > to the console (without send brk signal) ?
    >
    > This is a feature in Solris..
    >
    > I am looking in Linux but, uable to find it.
    >
    > can you please help me
    >
    > Thanks
    > Seetharam

    Hi,
    It's quite possible that I misunderstand your question,
    but anyway:

    Alt-Sysrq-<key> is a route into the kernel sysrq handler instead
    of a route into the shell that the serial console is connected to,
    so something needs to signal that condition (like a BREAK).

    Or a specialized (serial) console app could know other ways of
    recognizing sysrq keys. Or you could use /proc/sysrq-trigger:
    echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

    > --- Erik Mouw <erik@harddisk-recovery.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 11:26:54AM +0000, Seetharam
    > > Dharmosoth wrote:
    > > > Is Linux having 'non-break interface for serial
    > > > console' ?
    > >
    > > No idea. Could you explain what a 'non-break
    > > interface for serial
    > > console' is?

    ---
    ~Randy

      Last update: 2007-01-18 06:01    [W:3.943 / U:0.012 seconds]