SubjectRe: allocation failed: out of vmalloc space error treating and VIDEO1394 IOC LISTEN CHANNEL ioctl failed problem
Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 20:19 +0100, Stefan Richter wrote:
>> On 10 Jan, Peter Antoniac wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Problem is: how to get the VMALLOC_RESERVED value for the kernel that is
>>> running? I couldn't find any standard way to do that (something to apply to
>>> GNU Linux and the like). All the things I could get were the default value
>>> being 128MiB :) and that is it. Now, I could just put 128, but what if
>>> somebody changes that, or in some new distro suddenly decides to make it
>>> different? Even worse, what if it is an old kernel with 64 setting?
>> [...]
>>
>> Maybe somebody at LKML has answers?
>
> vmalloc space is limited; you really can't assume you can get any more
> than 64Mb or so (and even then it's thight on some systems already); it
> really sounds like vmalloc space isn't the right solution for your
> problem whatever it is (context is lost in the quoted mail)...
> can you restate the problem to see if there's a better solution
> possible?

I've used vmalloc in the past, and not had a problem, but it is a fair
question, how do you find out how much space is available? Other than a
binary vmalloc/release loop.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc