SubjectRe: O_DIRECT question
On 1/11/07, Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:

> >>Yes. This method can drop caches, but will fragment memory.
> >

> > That's what page reclaim will do as well.
> >
> > What you want is Mel's antifragmentation work, or lumpy reclaim.
> >

> >>This is
> >>not what I want. I want cache is limited to a tunable value of the
> >>whole memory. For example, if total memory is 128M, is there a way to
> >>trigger reclaim when cache size > 16M?
> >

> > If there was, it'd "fragment memory" as well.
> >
> > You might get a little benefit from increasing /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes,
> > but not much. Some page allocation tweaks would aid that.
> >
> > But basically, to do this well, serious work is needed.
>
> OTOH, the antifragmentation stuff can also break down eventually,
> especially if higher order allocations are actually in common use.

That's right. When VFS cache eat up almost all of the memory, I think
no memory algorithm can help the case, including Mei's anti-fragment
patch.

> What you _really_ want to do is avoid large mallocs after boot, or use
> a CPU with an mmu. I don't think nommu linux was ever intended to be a
> simple drop in replacement for a normal unix kernel.

Is there a position available working on mmu CPU? Joking, :)
Yes, some problems are serious on nommu linux. But I think we should
try to fix them not avoid them.

-Aubrey

  Last update: 2007-01-11 09:33    [W:0.202 / U:0.140 seconds]