Subjectunix(7) and MSG_TRUNC semantics
Date
Hello!

For IPC, I use unix domain datagram sockets. I receive messages by calling
recv(). The man page recv(2) tells me about the flags argument to a recv
call, namely:
MSG_TRUNC
Return the real length of the packet, even when it was longer
than the passed buffer. Only valid for packet sockets.
Thus I used recv() with flags MSG_TRUNC|MSG_PEEK in order to detect
message truncation due to insufficient buffer size.

Strangely enough, MSG_TRUNC seems to get ignored by the kernel: If the
message received is larger than the receive buffer I supplied, the
function returns the size of the buffer. I reckon, the function should
return the real message size instead.

To work around this problem, I use the ioctl FIONREAD instead.

On the other hand, in this mailing list, I found an old bug report
describing the same problem using UDP sockets:

http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.kernel/browse_frm/thread/fb6acbb527507e26/ad0b2ba33b6b66fa

UDP sockets seem to have been patched by now. From linux/net/ipv4/udp.c:
udp_recvmsg()
err = copied;
if (flags & MSG_TRUNC)
err = skb->len - sizeof(struct udphdr);

Why doesn't unix_dgram_recvmsg() in linux/net/unix/af_unix.c contain code
to this effect? Is this a feature or a bug?

Cheers
Daniel Kabs

  Last update: 2007-01-11 16:35    [W:0.027 / U:0.108 seconds]