SubjectRe: bogofilter ate 3/5
On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:

> Chase Venters <chase.venters@clientec.com> writes:
>
>> You can check the From: or envelope sender against the subscriber
>> database. Forgery isn't a concern because we're not trying to stop
>> forgery with this method.
>
> That's the first problem.

The problem with trying to stop forgery is that there is not yet a
foolproof or reasonably foolproof method of doing so. All available
options require cooperation from other MTAs, MUAs, users or
administrators; hence, they're only good at increasing 'HAM' score.

It is also at least partially unapplicable to LKML since this list
deliberately allows anyone to post.

>> The perl script behaves as an optional autoresponder. Autoresponders
>> would respond to spam as well (well, unless you put a spam filter in
>> front of them, but I assume that many don't).
>
> Yep. Sending their "responses" to innocent people, instead of spam
> senders. That's what many "antivirus" do.
>
>> Also note that a number of people (myself included, at work anyway)
>> have perl scripts that respond to all incoming mail and require a
>> reply cookie from original envelope senders. We do it because it
>> almost entirely prevents spam from arriving in our inboxes
>
> Sure. Don't you think is also prevents a lot of legitimate mail?
> Hope that all addresses you send mail to are automatically added
> to a white list? (I'm especially annoyed with people asking me for
> something, and then my answer bounces with "click somewhere"
> response).

Yeah, I whitelist on that address as well. And if someone does respond to
the challenge (all it takes is reply/send, as I've used a signed VERP as
the Reply-To), they get whitelisted. If the challenge bounces, it bounces
to the envelope sender (a different signed VERP) which increases their
blacklist score by 1. Get a blacklist score of 3 and I'll silently ignore
your mail for 6 months.

Thanks,
Chase

  Last update: 2006-09-07 15:57    [W:0.056 / U:0.024 seconds]